The Convent dels Àngels complex is currently listed as part of Barcelona’s Architectural, Historic and Artistic Heritage. It includes the sixteenth century church and convent. In the eighties, the convent and its surroundings were extensively renovated as part of an urban renewal process that was part of the project “Del Liceu al Seminari”.
The Convent was built to house a community of Dominican Tertiary Sisters, which had settled in the land adjoining the Verge dels Àngels chapel in 1497. The actual temple was built between 1562 and 1566. The church was designed by the master Bartomeu Roig in Gothic style, at the height of the sixteenth century. The complex has a simple façade, with a Renaissance style portal, and two rooms: a gothic nave, which housed the inner rooms and the adjoining Peu de la Creu chapel from 1568-1569, and is the only chapel built in the Renaissance era remaining in Barcelona.